Re: Old split quilt queues

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2016, Ralf Ramsauer wrote:
>> As I expected, inside that repo are a lot of tags for the various -rt
>> versions.
>> First I thought, RT would make use of rebasing, like:
>>   - Rebase onto the next kernel version and drop unnecessary commits
>> (e.g. patches that went upstream)
>>   - Do some additional changes
>>   - Export vA.B.C...vA.B.C-rtX as split quilt queue
>>
>> But afaict, (at least on the old rt-history), you made a lot of merges
>> from rt/* branches and added tags describing the -rt version. Then you
>> went on merging against master in order to keep up with upstream.
>>
>> Given that, how do you create a split quilt queue, that applies against
>> an upstream tag?
>>
>> For example, let's take the first RT Tag of rt-history: v2.6.31-rc6-rt2
>> How would you create a split quilt queue, that applies against v2.6.31-rc6?
>>
>> (I need to extract all those split quilt queues RT version<->base
>> upstream version)
>
> As I said before: That was an experiment whether git is usable as a tool to
> manage something complex as rt. It turned out, that it's not. I recreated a
> new quilt queue after I abondoned git for rt.
>
> So creating split queues is going to be a very interesting and tedious
> detective work.

Just stumbled upon this older discussion now by happenstance.

I can say with experience that it is exactly that:  tedious.

2.6.33 split queue:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rt-users/msg06310.html

2.6.34 split queue:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1109036

The repo I referenced in the above doesn't seem to exist anymore
on kernel.org - although I don't explicitly recall deleting it.  Maybe
that was fallout from when kernel.org got hacked?

But I am guessing I probably still have a local copy somewhere that
could be used to repopulate if anyone really cared about that old stuff.

I don't recall if I implicitly made a 2.6.31 series in the march forward to
the 2.6.33 but since 31 didn't have merges (aside from stable stuff)
that series would probably be reasonably easy to construct.

Paul.