Re: Kernel versus patch version

Hello,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 01:48:41PM +0000, Julio Cruz Barroso wrote:
> I'm trying to understand how to fit a kernel version with a RT patch.
>
> In summary, I'm working with a kernel version of 3.14.52 (released by
> Freescale for the iMX6 family) and I'm not sure about the criteria to
> choose the RT patch version.

Is there a good reason to stick to 3.14? If not, better use 4.4. If
however there is a good reason, double check it is really good. Usually
you don't want to use the Freescale vendor kernel but a vanilla kernel.
Usually the latter has much better quality and the i.MX6 support is also
good.

> The WIKI [1] mention that we need to make sure that the RT-Preempt
> version fits the kernel version we intend to use. For example, if we
> have a kernel version 3.x.y (without z or security or bug fixes), the
> RT path must be "patches-3.x.y-rtxx", where xx is the RT patch
> release.
>
> The RT patch repository [2] doesn't contain a release that fit the
> 3.14.52 kernel.
>
> Considering this context, I have a some questions:
>
> - Which revision could be more convenient for the 3.14.52 kernel?
> - Can I use a different RT patch release that differ on the .y number
>   (3.x.y)?

It might work, but you probably have to resolve some conflicts. And
given there is a 3.14.62 you shouldn't use 3.14.52 any more.

> - Must I need to patch the kernel to 3.14.61 and use the latest RT
>   patch release by Steve [3] some days ago?

Best regards
Uwe