Re: Common clock framework API vs RT patchset

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 03:06:18PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2015, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 10:23:31AM -0500, Nishanth Menon wrote:
> > > Consider clk_enable/disable/set_parent/setfreq operations. none of these
> > > operations are "atomic" from hardware point of view. instead, they are a
> > > set of steps which culminates to moving from state A to state B of the
> > > clock tree configuration.
> >
> > There's a world of difference between clk_enable()/clk_disable() and
> > the rest of the clk API.
> >
> > clk_enable()/clk_disable() _should_ be callable from any context, since
> > you may need to enable or disable a clock from any context.  The remainder
> > of the clk API is callable only from contexts where sleeping is permissible.
> >
> > The reason we have this split is because clk_enable()/clk_disable() have
> > historically been used in interrupt handlers, and they're specifically
> > not supposed to impose big delays.
> >
> > Things like waiting for a PLL to re-lock is time-consuming, so it's not
> > something I'd expect to see behind a clk_enable() implementation (the
> > fact you can't sleep in there is a big hint.)  Such waits should be in
> > the clk_prepare() stage instead.
>
> You wish. Drivers with loop/udelays in the enable/disable callbacks:

Most of what I've said above is entirely factual.  What idiotic games
people play inside clk_enable() is not my problem (I'm not even the CCF
maintainer - something which Linaro "took over".)

> Of course we could solve that by making enable_lock a raw_spinlock,
> but looking at the various implementations of clk_ops.enable tells me
> that this is not a brilliant idea. See the PLL loops/delays crap
> above. There is another issue:
>
> Some callbacks have their own spinlocks which then need to be
> converted to raw_spinlocks as well. Not a big deal, but some of the
> clk drivers use that very same spinlock, which is supposed to protect
> register access, for all kind of other crap, which is going to
> introduce latencies. And that's a ratsnest of locks down to
> regmap->lock ....
>
> So for RT the only sensible choice at the moment is to leave
> enable_lock as non raw spinlock and deal with the very few places
> where clk_enable/disable() is really called from atomic context.

Right.  Let's put it in the most direct and blunt way possible.  Those
responsible for this mess won't like it.  They're not _meant_ to like
this statement, because they're supposed to feel bad about the situation
they've created.  Maybe, in the face of this leve of humiliation, they'll
assess whether they _should_ be doing better, and try to step up their
game.

We have:

clk_enable() & clk_disable() - which are _supposed_ to be the atomic
  level operators, which take a spinlock and are supposed to be _fast_.

clk_prepare() & clk_unprepare() - which are _supposed_ to be the
  time consuming bits of clk_enable()/clk_disable()

However, due to the generally idiotic nature of Linux programmers, they've
totally destroyed the reason for clk_enable() and clk_disable() existing.
So, we now need a _third_ level of API to work around their idiotic nature,
maybe clk_atomic_enable() and clk_atomic_disable(), which do what the
original clk_enable() and clk_disable() do.

So, we end up needing three levels because Linux programmers are basically
idiots.

And yes, if what you've found is correct, I think those who have created
the crap have very much earned the prestigious title of being an "idiotic
programmer".

I'm pissed at these idiotic programmers.

according to speedtest.net.