Re: kernel-rt rcuc lock contention problem

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 18:46:59 -0200
Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The second commit, d550e81dc0dd should be part of -RT, and currently is
> > > not, because:
> > >
> > > -> Any IRQ work item will raise timer softirq.
> > > -> __run_timers will do a full round of processing,
> > > ruining latency.
> >
> > Was this discussed?
>
> Discussed where?

It sounded like that commit was not added because of the above. That's
why I asked, was it discussed. Sounded like you were saying that commit
d550e81dc0dd should be part of -RT but it is not because ..., which
sounds like there were some decisions made.

> The point is this: __run_timers has horrible latency.
> How to avoid it: configure the system in such a way that no timers
> (old interface, add_timers) expire on the local CPU.
>
> The patches Paul listed above limit the issue allowing
> you to call raise_softirq(TIMER_SOFTIRQ) without having to go
> through __run_timers, in the case of no pending timers.

OK, so you are asking for me to add those patches?

> Then you rely on the sched timer interrupt to notice there is a pending
> irq_work item?

On, x86, there shouldn't be. irq_work can usually trigger its own
interrupt. In the case that it can not, it requires the softirq to
trigger when there's irq work to be done.

> If you have no sched timer interrupts, then what happens with that
> irq_work item?

That's what that patch does. It should trigger some. Hmm, I have to see
if no_hz_full checks irq work too.

But again, of there's no irq_work to do then this should not matter. If
there's irq_work to do, then something on that CPU asked to do irq
work. If you are worried about run_timers, make sure nothing is on that
CPU that can trigger a timer.

Isolation is the *only* way to make that work.

-- Steve