Re: Help regarding Cyclictest.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 15:26:49 -0600
Clark Williams <williams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 15:02:11 +0530
> Ipsit Kumar <kumaripsit1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi sir,
> > Good Afternoon.
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > I am facing some issues with cyclictest.
> > Basically i am using this tool on ARM platform, specifically on TCI6614 evm.
> > I am seeing strange spike in the cyclictest result.

What kernel are you running?

> > *root # ./cyclictest -t1 -p80 -i 10000 -l 10000# /dev/cpu_dma_latency set
> > to 0uspolicy: fifo: loadavg: 0.70 0.48 0.61 1/434 15283           T: 0
> > (15226) P:80 I:10000 C:  10000 Min:      5 Act:    9 Avg:   17 Max:    5797*
> >
> > When I am plotting the Histogram, I see the latency to go beyond 3ms once.
> > I am unable to figure out what is the reason behind this.
> > Checked with the kernel configuration and found that the CPU Frequency
> > scaling is Disabled.
> > No power management features are enabled.
> >
> > It would be a great help, if you could point out something I am doing
> > wrong.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Sorry for the slow response time, but I've been swamped with things
> here at work following the Christmas break.
>
> First, I don't see anything offhand that you're doing wrong. What
> version of the realtime kernel are you running?
>
> I think your best bet may be to take this to the Linux Realtime users
> mailing list (in CC).
>
> To get a sense of where things are going wrong, you can run cyclictest
> with the -b option, like this:
>
> $ cyclictest -t1 -p80 -i 10000 -l 10000 -b 500

You can also download the latest trace-cmd with the profile feature and
try this:

 # trace-cmd profile --stderr -F -c cyclictest -t1 -p80 -i 10000 -l
 10000 2> profile.out

And when you see the spike, hit ctrl-C and see the output.

Get the latest at:

 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git

-- Steve