Re: cyclictest: Unable to set scheduling policy / join real-time group or run as root

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Clark Williams <williams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Changing your scheduling policy requires extra privileges. You can
> either run cyclictest as root, or if your distribution uses PAM, you
> can set up a file in /etc/security/limits.d which enable group access to
> changing scheduler policy. You can name the file whatever you want, I
> usually call mine 99-realtime.conf:
>
> # cat <<EOF >/etc/security/limits.d/99-realtime.conf
> @realtime       -       rtprio  99
> @realtime       -       memlock unlimited
> EOF
>
> Then create a group named realtime and add your username to the newly
> created group:
>
> # groupadd realtime
> # usermod -a -G realtime yourUserID
>
> Log out, then log back in and you should be able to verift that you're
> in the realtime group using the 'groups' command. Once you're username
> is a member of the realtime group, you should be able to run cyclictest
> without being root.

This problem persists even when I run cyclictest as root. I have also
set up PAM as described above and added root to the realtime group
without any success.
I have also tried "sudo ./cyclictest" and " su -c './cyclictest'

Is this perhaps a more fundamental problem?

Just to recap: I applied the patch-3.2-rt10 patch cleanly to a v3.2
kernel customized for a TI OMAP (ARM) processor. CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT was
enabled and CPU frequency scaling disabled.

HB