Re: good load / stress suite?

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 16:08 -0700, Matthieu Bec wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering what people used to check RT_PREEMPT behavior under
> load/stress?

There is a test suite that Red Hat uses called rt-eval (I believe).
Clark can give you more info on that.

> I'm trying to test the accuracy of my timers and have a test where I
> setup a kernel module with an hr-timer flipping RTS bit on serial COM0
> periodically, which I can look on an oscilloscope. the scope triggers on
> rising edge, I call jitter what shows on the falling side:
> under no specific load I get ~ 10 us (worst case waiting a long time)
>

> My initial idea for stressing the system was to compile a kernel, make
> -j 8 (#cores) that I thought would exercise CPU and IO if anything. As
> it happens, it's "mostly good" but I do get occasional (but repeatable)
> wild excursions (>100us)

The tests I do is the following:

I run "cyclictest -n -p 80 -t -i 250" then in another window I run a
kernel compile using distcc (to stress the network as well) with make
-j40, it basically does:

while :; make clean; make -j40; done

Then I also run hackbench (written by Rusty Russell), with:

while :; hackbench 50 ; done

I run the above on a single machine, while on another machine I run
ktest against the -rt kernel to test different configs (with and without
PREEMPT_RT enabled and such). I do this for both i386 and x86_64.

> Looking around, I found a tool called 'stress' -
> http://weather.ou.edu/~apw/projects/stress/
> Under these new conditions, the system behaves really well again ~20 us
> stable all the way.
>
> So both tests give different result, I'm not sure which to trust.
> I was thinking maybe there is some weird interaction with the kernel and
> building the kernel that make the 'bad' test invalid?
>
> I have RT_PREEMPT 3.0.18-rt34 SMP x86_64

Now, I run the above stress tests that I mentioned for several hours
before I release a stable kernel. I run this on a 2.6GHz xeon core2, and
I may hit at most 70us latency with cyclictest. That's a high, it
usually stays below 50us. We consider >100us on this type of hardware a
bug which needs to be fixed.

-- Steve