Re: Using patch-2.6.33.7.2-rt30 increases latency and CPU usage?

Hi,

2012/5/10 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 2012-05-09, Joachim Achtzehnter <joachima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Grant Edwards wrote:
> Unfortunately, the requirements are a bit fuzzy -- I've got an ISR
> deadline of about 20us that I'm trying to meet [I wouldn't mind a
> little chat with the person who designed _that_ requirement into the
> hardware].  What I don't know is how hard that deadline is.  With the
> RT patch (and without IRQF_NODELAY), I miss the deadline most of the
> time (I'd guess about 80% of the time).
>
> Without RT or with RT and IRQF_NODELAY, it looks like I meet the
> deadline maybe 98% of the time (under test conditions).  What I don't
> know is if once the deadline is missed it matters weather it's missed
> by 50us or by 250us [or if 98% is going to be anywhere close to
> acceptible, for that matter].

Given my experience with these cores and the RT patch: This 20usec is
too close. There are some places in the code that have interrupt
disable section of about 30usec (also process ctx-switch cache flush
have high impact)
So, I expect you will not get this very robust.
If the 20usec requirement is hard, you can also look at using an FIQ.

Kind regards,

Remy