Re: IRQ "nobody cared...Disabling" errors on linux-3.0.10-rt27 on SMP AMD64 system

On 01/12/11 11:10, Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 12:12 +1300, Chris Edwards wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, Steven.  Booting with "noapic" does seem to
avoid the problem with IRQs 17 and 18, and the Firewire audio now works,
but the "nobody cared" error now appears for IRQ 7:
A couple of things:

Could you also try mainline, with "threadirqs" on the command line and
see if it gives you the same issue. It should also tell you if it is a
chipset problem or not. Try v3.0, and then v3.2.

Thanks - and sorry it's taken a while to finish testing these! I had some problems building and running some of the 3.2 versions.

(BTW, one (possibly useful) thing I found during testing was that the burst of interrupt activity on the Firewire IRQ (IRQ 17 when running in APIC mode) coincided with network activity, with interrupts on IRQ 26 apparently being duplicated on IRQ 17. The Ethernet controller is an Intel 82545GM card, on the 64-bit PCI (not the PCI-X) bus on the AMD 8131.)

Here are my testing results:

linux-3.0.9 mainline (no "noapic" or "threadirqs"):

    IRQs:
        17    Firewire
        18    Radeon
        19    Gina24

Almost no interrupts on IRQ 17 (only 126 in total after 4 minutes uptime).

JACK/FFADO runs OK, ~3200 interrupts/s on IRQ 17 (--rate 96000 --period 128 --nperiods 3). DSP load 30%.

No CAL interrupt storms on GTK text redrawing (which I'd seen on 2.6), or "irq ... nobody cared" errors.

    Ardour plays nicely.

linux-3.0.9 mainline, with "threadirqs":

    IRQs:
        17    Firewire
        18    Radeon
        19    Gina24

IRQ 17 is definitely noisier now, with ~500,000 interrupts during 4 mins uptime without JACK running, but no "nobody cared" errors observed.

JACK/FFADO runs OK, ~3200 interrupts/s on IRQ 17 (--rate 96000 --period 128 --nperiods 3). DSP load 30%.

PROBLEM: Audio drop-outs and JACK XRUNs while playing back in Ardour. These seem to coincide with extra bursts of interrupt activity on IRQ 17 (4,000-10,000 per second, above the 3,200 baseline). Same problem observed using mplayer with JACK playback.

linux-3.2.0-rc4:

    Seemingly OK; same behaviour as for 3.0.9 without "threadirqs".

linux-3.2.0-rc4 with "threadirqs":

    ~40,000 interrupts on IRQ 17 (Firewire) in 4 minutes.

"nobody cared" message after running NetPIPE to exercise the Ethernet controller, having finally identified that as a/the source of extraneous IRQs.

linux-3.0.12-rt30-rc1:

This looks to have the back-ported changes for 3.0-rt that you sent as a patch already applied.

This one seems to have fixed things! No sign of spurious interrupt activity on IRQ 17, and no "nobody cared" messages, even when running NetPIPE and gtkperf. JACK/FFADO and Ardour run pretty reliably.

I do still have some problems with scratchy audio and excessive CPU use when running Pure Data when its graphics get busy, but it seems likely this is a Pure Data (or maybe Tk) issue.

I also fired up LatencyTop to see what sorts of figures it was reporting. The one unusual thing it showed was latencies on the order of 50-90 ms for "drm_mode_cursor_ioctl" in Xorg - similar behaviour to that described here:

http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bugme-new/2011-August/027897.html

I may have to do some more testing to identify if that's an -rt thing or a kernel version thing...

Hope this is helpful. :) It is for me - I have a pretty usable system now. :)

Thanks again,
Chris