Re: proposed change to cyclictest -b <n> behavior

Clark Williams wrote:
All,

I was updating cyclictest in the rt-tests package to handle the 3.0-rt
kernel changes and was talking to Steven Rostedt about ftrace options
and he suggested this change to the -b (breaktrace) option: use event
tracing rather than function tracing by default.
The default for -b is to enable the function tracer. What Steven is
suggesting is to trace using the already installed tracepoints to get
an idea of where a latency occurs, rather than incurring the function
tracer (mcount) overhead by default. This is equivalent to doing:

# cyclictest -b 1000 --event --tracer=nop

I like the idea, but wanted to ask the cyclictest users if this would
break anything. I actually think that the whole ftrace interface for
cyclictest needs to be overhauled, since it was done very ad hoc and is
not all that well thought out, but I'm not quite ready to take that on
now.
So, anyone object to me making this change?

This sounds good to me. I'd prefer not to incur the extra
unnecessary overhead, too.

thanks,
Nivedita