Re: I/O operations priority in RTOS

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> On 2011-06-05 11:28, Nicholas Mc Guire wrote:

> >> That's the reason why I prefer UIO based user space drivers !
> >>
> > ...and how to resolve DMA ? if DMA were resolved cleanly I would agree.
>
> Regarding that limitation, there is some hope: "next-generation" UIO is
> called VFIO. Useful for exclusively assigning virtual PCI functions of
> network adapters etc. to user space stacks or hypervisors like QEMU/KVM
> (for device pass-through). But it's not mainline yet. And it obviously
> requires an IOMMU.
>
> But the key point remains: "exclusively". Anything else cannot be
> modeled efficiently via UIO or VFIO.

for many RT apps that is an acceptable limit - in fact sometimes a requirement - having dynamic access and handling this at runtime is not necessarily an advantage for rt. Giving guarantees on timing for non-exclusive access in the general case would probably need to be based on a priority access model any way (i.e. running non-RT network traffic on a RT-link as "rt-idle" bandwidth usage - but full shared access at runtime would be very hard, if not impossible, to model at the device interface level without breaking RT properties. So I think its legitimate to keep it out of the device all together and let the user apps have a non-rt fight about access...

Any pointers to VFIO ?

hofrat