Re: Fwd: Re: preempt-rt amd uClibc

Le 20/04/2011 12:47, Johannes Bauer a Ãcrit :
Thats good news, thank you Remy!
Hi Johannes,

I was able to run cyclictest
Great news!
Can you post your latest hrtimer port for your HW? It could be useful for anyone who will want to do the same thing in the future...
\\\"cyclictest -t1 -p 80 -n -i 10000 -l 1000\\\" an thw maximum latencies were about
650us. However the intervall timers \\\"cyclictest -t1 -p 80 -i 10000 -l 1000\\\"
result in abou 3000us maximum latencies.
Is it common that interval timers have higher latencies and could this values be
reasonable for a 72MHz arm7tdmi (ARMv4T).
You may read this paper (page 2) from OSADL: https://www.osadl.org/fileadmin/dam/press/Industrial-Ethernet-Book-2009-05.pdf
It gives an empirical law for max latency under PREEMPT-RT:
"A number of commercially available Linux distributions (e.g. Red Hatâs MRG) already contain the PREEMPT_RT patches in production quality. The worst-case rule-of-thumb latency is in the range of 10^5 multiplied by the CPU cycle duration with these systems without special optimisation. For example, a 1GHz processor has a cycle duration of one nanosecond which results in a worst-case latency of about 100Îs. This is considered sufficient for the vast majority of real-time projects. Using latency optimisation, however, the worst-case latency can be reduced by up to three times."

For a 72 MHz CPU clock, it gives: 1388 Âs
I've done a PREEMPT-RT port for NIOS 2 with MMU (with hrtimer port too). With cyclictest, I've measured for a low performance design with 50 MHz NIOS 2 HW a latency up to 1400 Âs and for another more powerful design with 125 MHz NIOS 2 HW a latency up to 650 Âs.

Your 650 Âs value sounds reasonable.

Cheers;

Pat.
Anyone has any values to compare or can tell me if those values are reasonable?

Kind Regards
Johannes Bauer

----- Original von:  Remy Bohmer

Hi,