Re: Preferred way for rt-linux using git

On 04/08/2011 06:41 PM, John Kacur wrote:
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM, dashesy<dashesy@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I am new to rt-linux, what is the preferred way of getting the source
and applying the patch using git?
Should I do:
"git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git
rt/2.6.33"
or maybe I should start from the long-term 2.6.33 version?
"git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/longterm/linux-2.6.33.y.git
linux-2.6.33"
then apply the newest patch?
Thanks for the great work BTW
For -rt you want to clone the one in tip. tglx pulls from stable and
merges it into -rt himself.
The latest tag is 2.6.33.9-rt31
If you have any problems with it, we're always interesting in hearing
about them.
That's correct. The more testers we have, the earlier the RT version under development will become stable. However, there is no guarantee, and sometimes - for example now - tip may even contain unreleased material that runs just for a couple of days on a limited number of machines.

Alternatively, if you do not have the time to test software under development and you would like to use it for production purposes, you may want to use the "Latest Stable" PREEMPT_RT release. This "Latest Stable" version underwent heavy testing on a number of different machines, and latency plots and long-term latency recording results are available in all cases. The "Latest Stable" version is announced here -> osadl.org/Latest-Stable, the related QA data are available here -> osadl.org/QA.

Hope this helps,
Carsten.