Re: Linearized 2.6.33.7-rt30 patch set available (with free coffee!)

On 01/31/11 15:35, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> On 11-01-31 04:57 PM, Frank Rowand wrote:

>>> Interesting.  I was using "git am" to apply them, and I can assure
>>> you that they all applied with that (which is quite strict in its
>>> checking.)
>>>
>>> What were you applying them with?
>>
>> quilt push -a
>
> OK, so it is simply a matter of quilt dying while git am is capable
> of doing the right thing (see below for evidence).  I'll re-export all
> the patches on the v2.6.33-rt branch, which will fix you up.  Should
> be able to do that shortly -- check the gitweb page for activity on
> the v2.6.33-rt branch, which is what you want to use.

I'll watch for that and check it again.

> You do realize that by using quilt though, that you are throwing away
> all the commit headers and the history, which is the whole point of
> this tree existing?

Yes.  I do find great value in the history -- it is very informative.

> You are just building up the original RT giant
> diff one chunk at a time.  Unless you are thinking or intending to
> insert some other SCM into the quilt processing at each step, I don't
> see the point of using quilt and doing a "push -a"

I wasn't to the point yet of importing the patches into an SCM.  I was
just checking that the patches applied and that they are equivalent to
the patch set you started with.  Think of it as a simple consistency and
paranoia check that a reviewer would do.

I used quilt because it is a trivial manual method of applying all the
patches, since they are nicely listed in the proper order in the series
file.

-Frank