A couple of Questions about the RT Patch

Hi all,

I'm broadly familiar with the RT patch but have recently started
working on an embedded project that utilises a kernel based around
linux 2.6.31-rt20 and so am trying to get better up to speed with
using the patch in practice. Our platform is running on an ARM11 based
SoC (has no SoC specific driver changes for the RT preempt).

As I understand it, the different kernel releases of the patch are
sequential as opposed to parallel, i.e. the newer patches on new
kernels such as the just announced 2.6.33.7-rt29, supersede the
earlier releases and changes don't get back-ported top earlier
kernels. As we don't have the option to update the kernel revision to
keep in sync with the later RT patches, can anyone tell me if we
should be considering evaluating changes from later patches to
back-port and if so, is there a straight-forward way to find out what
changes (or sets of changes) if any are important to bring in or are
we fine just sticking at .31-rt20? I don't think we've found anything
glaringly obviously needing fixing yet and it's nice not to have to
always play catch up with new releases!

I've also wanted to look into doing some tests to see how this
platform performs. I've built the RT-Tests package and run hackbench
and cyclictest on my board but I'm not sure how to evaluate the
results I'm seeing! It seems to me that most documents I've read
evaluate the results by comparing to someone elses baseline results
however I haven't seen any results for similar boards (ARM11 @ 400MHz
/ 64Mb SDRAM with no swap) Could someone give me any references or
pointers?

Cheers!

~Pev