Re: BKL & latency

Yeap RT has made BKL preemptible. In RT BKL is mutex[sort of counting
mutex] instead of spinlock.

See my inline response to your query.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Tony Poppleton
<tony.poppleton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read that with each new kernel release, the Big Kernel Lock
> (BKL) is gradually being removed from the core kernel code.
>
> Just out of interest, I was wondering if this has an impact on the RT patch?
>
> In particular,
>  - does the RT patch have any connection with the BKL?
[MANI:Yes]
>  - presumably the BKL removal will reduce the average latency of the
> unpatched kernel?
[MANI: I don't think it is that straight forward. You can avoid BKL in
some cases. For eg, you can use unlocked_ioctl instead of ioctl]
>  - is the BKL currently a source of considerable latency?
[MANI: Yes, but I dont have any stats to prove it though]
>  - will the BKL removal make the RT patch coniderably smaller/simpler?
[MANI: Like I said RT just made BKL a mutex]
>  - has the RT patch effectively been removing the BKL since day 1, or
> does it just make the BKL a pre-emptible lock?
>
> Many thanks,
> Tony
> --

Thanks,
Manik

Think twice about a tree before you take a printout