Re: preempt rt in commercial use

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 02:48:19PM +0200, Sergio Ruocco wrote:
> Pradyumna Sampath wrote:
> > I agree. Hard, soft ... far too qualitative for a discussion like
> > this. Numbers, test cases and applications determine different
> > meanings of these words.
>
> Right. Hard and Soft realtime discussions end up always in useless
> infinite loops. The *applications*' *requirements* are hard or soft.
>
> These requirements reflect in the OS, the CPU, the IO devices, and more
> typically a convolution of all of them, depending on what the
> application does, i.e., the actual sequence of computations, OS
> syscalls, IO operations and so on...

I did a Linux Journal article on this topic a few years ago:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9361

I also did a portion of a short course on this topic last year:

http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/scalability/paper/ACACES2009/4-LKRT.2009.07.16a.pdf
http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/scalability/paper/ACACES2009/5-AppRT.2009.07.17b.pdf

							Thanx, Paul