Re: preempt rt in commercial use

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 05:38:49 jordan wrote:

> Which leads me to my last example. Most people are aware that since
> about 1999-2000, Linux has dominated the movie industry. Beginning
> with Titanic and even today with say, Avatar.
>
> I would be willing to bet, that all of those wonderful rendering farms
> and production suites, are
> in fact using rt-linux.

Please put a lot of money on that bet, because I'd like to win it :-)

Why would those rendering farms use rt-linux?

Rendering is not done in real-time - far from it actually. It can take minutes
of the entire farm to render a single frame. So rendering is nothing but CPU-
intensive (calculating how all those lightbeams are reflected by each surface)
- and everything I/O bound is about throughput: writing the rendered pixels to
disk and getting more surfaces from disk.

There are no deadlines for rendering, there are no penalties if a frame is
late by seconds - if the farm cannot complete its job overnight, they'll add
more CPU power.

--
Klaas van Gend
Senior Solutions Architect, MontaVista Software LLC

phone: +31 40 2801386