Re: preempt rt in commercial use

On Tuesday 14 September 2010 11:17:12 Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > Hello
> > some companies asked me to show that premmpt rt is comercially used.
> > are you using it ?
>
> MontaVista has long supplied preempt-rt to lots of it's customers.

Let me elaborate on that a little.

Yes, we have a *lot* of customers using PREEMPT_RT.
In my experience they fall into a few different categories:

1) using it because "it is faster". Well, I've tried to squash that idea at
every customer I've been, but it's not easy to get out of their heads.
In most cases, these customers have no clue why they enabled it.

2) using it because Linux was too slow otherwise.
Unfortunately something I've run across a few times now - that the embedded
boards are too slow to reliably grab all bytes from a serial port.
Of course this has something to do with system load and bad design of serial
data streams... In many cases, missing a byte can cause serious trouble, like
having to do a whole sample analysis again (lab equipment).

3) using it to work around system limitations, e.g. reducing priority on less
relevant interrupts and/or threads.
This is the best use case. For example, if you design data acquisition or
control loops, they better run reliably, with low jitter. So you want to
reduce priority of everything not that relevant.

Hope this helps!

--
Klaas van Gend
Senior Solutions Architect, MontaVista Software LLC

phone: +31 40 2801386