Re: Run RTLinux in a VM?

On Tuesday 03 August 2010 16:35:02 Vivek Ayer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building an application that requires the use of a real-time
> kernel. I don't have money right now to purchase a physical machine to
> run rtlinux on, and was going to try a virtual solution. Can I install
> rtlinux in kvm, qemu, or uml?

Yes, you can install it that way.

However, the effect would be similar to "upgrading" your speedometer in a car
so the maximum speed is not 140 mph but 200 mph - the car won't go any faster!

So, if the platform isn't real time to start with, a real time kernel on top
of that platform is not going to solve your problems.
The main kernel will happily block for indeterminate times at unexpected
moments - your VM will only run outside of those blockages.
Your VM's RT behavior will be worse than the original platform's.

--
Klaas van Gend
Senior Solutions Architect, MontaVista Software LLC

phone: +31 40 2801386