Re: PREEMPT_RT patch vs RTAI/Xenomai

Asier Tamayo wrote:
Hello all:

I'm just a newbie to this list, so just forgive me if my question is obvious or has been answered many times ;-)

I want to do a port from an old system running a proprietary RTOS to a new one based in Linux. My system runs many applications at the same time (GUI, parsers, ...), a few of which are hard real-time.
I've searched the web, but am still unable to decide which system to use: RTAI, Xenomai or the PREEMPT_RT patch. Can anyone give me some clue in this issue? Are there any advantages in choosing the PREEMPT_RT patches over Xenomai or RTAI? Running the GUI, which demands a lot of CPU and RAM, can have any effect on the real-time behaviour?

I've seen many comparisons, but in this fast-changing world, most of them seem to me to be quite out of date.

Any hint will be really helpful,

What are your criteria?  Do you care about anything other
than performance (availability, upgrades, cost, support,
compatibility, tools, ...)?

If your most important criteria is how well your applications
perform (whatever that means for you), you're best off testing
the solutions that you can get hold of with your own workload,
in your own environment.

Also, fwiw, there are 2 enterprise distros (Red Hat's MRG
and Novell's SLERT) providing real-time (both based on the
Linux RT patchset).

thanks,
Nivedita