Re: Real-time projects that could use userspace RCU

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 09:14:04AM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * John Kacur (jkacur@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers
> > <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi Thomas,
> > >
> > > Paul told me you were quite interested in the userspace RCU library when he told
> > > you about it (http://lttng.org/urcu). Do you have some userspace applications or
> > > libraries with real-time needs in mind that could use it ? We could help moving
> > > them to liburcu. The wait-free read-side is, as you certainly know, a
> > > characteristic of RCU that can be very useful to RT applications.
> > >
> > > [CCing linux-rt-users, as it seems appropriate to ask them too.]
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > Do you have any kind of benchmarks? If you had something appropriate
> > we could add it to the rt-tests suite (which includes cyclictest). Not
> > only would this provide an objective measure, but it could also act as
> > a reference implementation for userspace programmers.
>
> Yes, the library already has its set of benchmark test programs. The results can
> be found in http://lttng.org/pub/thesis/desnoyers-dissertation-2009-12.pdf
> section 6.5. It shows that RCU read-side is a few orders of magnitude faster
> than lock-based approaches and scales linearly with the number of cores.
>
> The same PDF, sections 7.6.2 and 7.6.3, presents the architecture-level modeling
> of the RCU mb algorithm in Promela, along with the formal proof by model
> checking for both correctness and progress (the read-side is proven wait-free).
>

> > See here.
> > git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/clrkwllms/rt-tests.git
> >
> > cyclictest is the original program written by Thomas, maintained by
> > Clark Williams now. Most - but not all, of the additional tests are
> > modelled after this program, so you might want to have a look at that
> > if you're not already familiar with it.
>
> Thanks for the pointer, I did know about cyclictest, but not the others. Since
> the read-side does not involve the OS nor blocking, I wonder which of these
> tests would be even a near-match though.

Why not add mutual-exclusion tests, including locking, per-thread locking,
reader-writer locking, and RCU?  The figure of merit would be maximum
latency rather than throughput, but the existing userspace-rcu tests should
be pretty close.

							Thanx, Paul