Re: Re: Disabling lapic timer for a certain core

Hi Thomas,

thank you very much for the reply.
> Please do _NOT_ top post. Please reply inline and in context.
Sorry for that...

> > The issue is here, that the interrupt routine of the kernel
> > takes too long here.
> > It would be fine to have the timer interrupt called more
> > often and to process with each call only a subset of the
> > jobs to be done...
> > This would reduce the time the CPU the user mode
> > is interrupted by the timer routine.
>
> Err, by splitting the work you introduce even more overhead. That's
> the wrong approach. The first question is which timers are running on
> that CPU as you have isolated it.
You are right. The total overhead is of course larger.
However, the overhead that could appear within a single of our 40us loops
would be smaller. It is fine for me to have a 5us add on with each loop.
But it is not allowed to have a 15us add on with every 1000th loop...

> In theory it's possible to remove the timer interrupt from such an
> isolated core completely, but there needs to be some work done vs. the
> scheduler, accounting, RCU etc. There are people looking into this,
> but we have no patches yet.
I have checked the LAPIC addresses via the MSRs.
All LAPIC addresses for all CPU cores are the same.
I assume they share the very same configuration, thus a minimum step
would be to make a copy of this configuration data and to let CPU core 3
point to this copy. This would allow to disable the timer.

> What kind of application is that ? Data acquistion or closed loop
> processsing ?
I am running a close loop application.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Mathias

--
Mathias Koehrer
mathias_koehrer@xxxxxxxx

Tolle Dekolletés oder scharfe Tatoos? Vote jetzt ... oder mach selbst mit und zeige Deine Schokoladenseite
bei Topp oder Hopp von Arcor: http://www.arcor.de/rd/footer.toh