Re: 2.6.33-rt4 core2duo oopses: what method to catch

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 03:49:38AM -0800, ulmo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm getting kernel faults in 2.6.33-rt4 on a core 2 duo.  It takes a
> moment to hard-crash, so there's a chance for the output to be diagnosed.
> A few questions regarding that:
>
> Please point me the way to best get the diagnostic data (kernel trace).
>
> There used to be utilities to use System.map to give names to traces (like
> sysklogd).  There also used to be a built-in method for System.map so the
> kernel could do that.  What's the option?  What are my options?  I
> currently use metalog for the syslog daemon.
I don't know if this is what you mean, but KALLSYMS (General setup ->
Configure standard kernel features -> Load all symbols for
debugging/ksymoops) and its subitems should be helpful.

> What's the easiest way to write the oops to disk while in the initrd?  I'm
> getting the oopses while it's doing reiserfsck, and I only have a bit of
> room in /boot to stick some output.  Is there a way to log to /boot the
> oopses, with some small initrd-fitting binary that will cull kernel
> logging for those and write them out?  Just a standard logger?
If you get an oops, the best way to catch it is via a serial console.
Then you can just copy&paste from another machine.

Best regards,
Uwe