Re: Using -rt and TuxOnIce at the same time

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 14:40 +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm interested in using both the -rt patchset and the TuxOnIce for hibernation.
> If you're not aware, TuxOnIce is a patch to enable "proper"
> hibernation in Linux, IMO much superior to the one provided by the
> base kernel.
>
> Anyway, there is a collision in fork.c which is easily solvable, but
> apart from that the patches don't collide. However, when I try to
> hibernate the computer just hangs up. I brought this up on the
> TuxOnIce mailing list and the main developer told me to contact you
> first. He also told me that we would like to work with you to solve
> this problem, since TOX is also  going to be slowly integrated in the
> mainline kernel over time.
>
> The problem is that the computer hangs and I have no way to capture
> the output. The only thing I could do was to take some photos of the
> screen. The first photo is what appears immediately after the
> beggining of the hibernation process. After a few seconds, a rapid
> succession of text appears and it captured partially on the second
> (crappy) photo of the screen. On the 3rd photo shows how the system
> stays indefinitely, and must be restarted by pressing the power button
> for 3 secs.
>
> I know the material I provided is a bit crap, but please let me know
> how can I help you.
>
> The zipped file containing the photos is here
> http://www.2shared.com/file/8900964/61ee7898/rt-crashtar.html
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Pedro Ribeiro

Hi, I do have RT and ToI working together on Arch Linux here. Do you by
any chance use an nVidia card? Your issue sounds like an issue with
hibernating with stock nVidia drivers without the ToI workarounds... You
need to add "procsetting extra_pages_allowance 7500" to common.conf or
something like that.

I know I did a single successful hibernate and restart with my RT and
ToI hybrid (am currently using BFS/ToI for daily use) for testing
purposes, so it does work, for me at least.