Re: fork() blocking rt-threads?

 On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Clark Williams <williams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just tried it on a RHEL5.4 and Fedora 11 system. The pthread_spawn(3P)
> function is implemented using vfork(2) under the covers. Makes sense,
> since the stated intent is to work without VM.
>
> Still, anyone wanting to create processes/threads in a realtime
> environment needs to do that stuff up front, since there's a ton of
> work required to make a scheduleable entity. Whether you're just
> creating a pthread or you're generating a full-up process, memory will
> have to be allocated and locks taken.  Not sure I'd depend on
> *anything* to do the right thing for me...

Interesting.

Last time I tested it, pthread creation could be realtime safe, if you
allocate and mlock() a pool of memory beforehand and use
pthread_setstack on the preallocated and pre-locked memory.

However I for one did not think that any system call from a
non-realtime thread will cause realtime threads of the same process to
get blocked.  I can't think of any other action that does that.

Regarding the Ardour help menu issue, does this mean that using gtk
APIs from a non RT thread of a process with RT threads is unsafe?

Lee