Re: Problem with function select on kernel 2.6.29.6-rt23

Could you Check the sort of load that your server machine is able to
take. The site you would be looking at is
http://www.petefreitag.com/item/689.cfm.
I think if the network is rejecting the select call, As the socket is
not getting created. Other wise it would wait to the required 2 Second
limit set by you.
Also are you sure of the bind part of the socket creation. Making it
threaded is an option.

Thanks,
Sujit

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Jürgen Mell <mell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application which connects via a network socket to a server
> running on the same machine (IP 127.0.0.1) This application uses the
> function 'select' to wait for new data from the server or until a two
> seconds timeout. This works well until there is network traffic on the
> external network interfaces (eth* or WLAN). When there is network traffic on
> the external interfaces, the select function does not wait anymore but it
> returns with a return code of zero, indicating not data available on the
> socket. This happens nearly immediately (after 8 to 9 microseconds) and not
> after the specified two seconds interval. The timeout parameter of select is
> updated accordingly (it shows eg. 1 s 999991 us).
> Up to now I could not test this with another kernel but I will try to do it
> this afternoon. Are there any known problems with select? Is there any way
> to circumvent this?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>       Jürgen
>
> --