Re: Latest PreemptRT patch error on imx35

Hi  Carsten
> As a role of thumb, the -i option is normally set to twice the expected
> latency. If, for example you expect 100 us, set it to -i200. Your loop
> end is then reached 50 times faster, or - what is much better - you may
> specify 50 times more loops for a test of the same duration which
> considerably increases the quality of your assessment. Normally,
> however, you would probably wait for 100 million or even a billion loops.
Thanks for the tipps, will try more sane values once i have a booting system
again. Just testing non patched kernels.
> With an average of 19 and a maximum of 27, the result is probably not
> very relevant. This indicates that the CPU was idle most of the time
> when the wakeup occurred - every OS can do this. The challenge of an
> RTOS is to wakeup in time also when the kernel is not idle, e.g. from
> kernel or driver code while a lock is held. Therefore, adequate stress
> tools must be running during a latency measurement.
As i mentioned i did tests on a imx31 with an older premptRT patch, and even
Idle numbers where much worse. Probably due to the fact that arm support has
just trickled in and is now more mature?

> Please keep in mind that ftrace configured is not ftrace enabled. To
> enable it, use cyclictest's -f option or execute
>   echo function >/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/current_tracer
>   echo 1 >/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/tracing_enabled
> from command line.
Again with my older tests only enabling tracing functionality made a
significant performance hit. But well, its all moving in the right direction
:-).

Best regards
Tim