Re: hwlat latency readings [WAS: IRC Alert]

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Jon Masters<jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 11:54 +0000, jbl wrote:
>
>> [11:52:41] <jbl:#linux-rt> +jonmasters: ping
>> [11:53:27] <jbl> +how long should be max latencies seen with hwlat detector?
>
> It's a US holiday, so I'll reply by email as I'm not really around for
> IRC, but I don't want to forget to add something to this - especially as
> people seem to be trying to also track down new latencies in RT itself.
> I don't think these are SMI related - though now you can check.

First I wondered if I should reply via twitter or blog ... just to be
more 2.0 ;)

> The default for the latency detector is to regard any unexplained time
> interval over (greater than, not greater than or equal to) 10us as a
> latency worthy of some regard. But you can also configure it down to 1us
> since anything over 0us represents some kind of interruption - it's all
> down to what threshold you actually care about (few people notice 1us).
>
> Anyway. How high should it go? Theoretically, that is an open ended
> question. But we have seen in practice latencies up to many milliseconds
> or even higher - I don't expect you'll go over 100ms and in reality, I
> don't expect it to be anything like that, maybe hundreds of us on a
> modern enough system. But the range is really down to whatever crap the
> BIOS is doing when it's taking your CPU cycles away, and that could
> literally be anything (reformulating the coke recipe isn't unlikely).
>
> If you're seeing something irregular, for widely long periods of time it
> is less likely to be the kind of SMIs we see, which do tend to be
> semi-predictable as they rely upon counters for most of the
> non-asynchronous (e.g. hardware emulation) activities. But if you see
> something short many times per second, or something longer on a
> predictable schedule then it is quite likely to be an SMI hitting you.

I was wondering about the "samples recorded" value. First I thought
there is something wrong since that value was always zero on my test
machine. I expected that this this value would reflect somehow
duration / window length. I guess the documentation could be extended
to explain a bit how to work with various settings of sample window
and width to find out the exact interval of the disturbance.

Thanks,
Jan