Re: NOHZ: local_softirq_pending

Thomas,

Thomas Gleixner wrote:
No, what happens is that the -RT starvation protector kicks in. That's
a mechanism which checks whether the CPU is monopolized by rt tasks
for longer than 950ms. It then blocks execution of rt tasks for
50ms. The silly thing is that it goes idle, but that's a different
problem.
It's default on and can be disabled via:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/rt_runtime_us

Sorry that I did not notice that earlier, but when that triggers, then
something is really wrong. There should never be a situation where -rt
tasks (neither irq threads nor softirqs) should monopolize the CPU.
No problem at all! Please let me know if the following assumption is right: This protection mechanism is dependent on the available CPU power. I mean, if the system has low CPU power, and if, for example, the network has very very high load, the total time taken to process all the data will be long. Generally much longer than in more powerful systems, so this protection arises. Is this right or it should not happen by design of the softirqs/RT tasks?

Anyway, seems to be correctly working. I still have to check why with HZ=100 it was periodically happening this events even with low load, but that could be very probably related to my software.

Again, thank you very much.

Best regards,

   Iratxo.
Thanks,