Re: RT_PREEMPT and Serial Port

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:57:53AM -0400, Mauricio A. Araya L�pez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been searching on the web (and in the rt-wiki) for the current
> status of the real-time support for devices. For instance
> the serial port, CAN Bus, etc.
>
> I am doing some experiments to check if RT_PREEMPT could be an option to
> a control system that is using RTAI nowadays.
>
> If not, maybe it is a good thing to develop myself, so if anyone can
> comment anything about this, it will be very helpfull to start.

I was just doing this and fell into a tangent looking at USB2Serial
issues with RT applications.

FWIW I was able to get +/- 30usec jitter from a serial port experiment
where I programmed a PIC to push 5 bytes over the serial line every
20ms.  I had a blocking read from a FIFO pthread that would wake up
and call gettimeofday, which I used to measure the jitter.  It was
very impressive.  I'm pretty confident that *if* you use a hardware
serial port (no-USB) you will be able to implement effective PID
controls with a real time pthread program running on a RT-preempt
kernel.

um on common desktop PC hardware like what I used anyway.

--mgross