Re: cyclictest?

Le Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:50:06 -0800,
"Mark Knecht" <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Jan 10, 2008 4:34 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I hadn't heard of cyclictest before an email today. I guess as a
> > user instead of a developer I don't pay much attention.
> >
> >    Can someone point me toward directions for building this on a Gentoo
> > machine?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark

On gentoo, you have 2 choices: To follow the install procedure in the tarball
and install the software in /usr/local or in ~/somewhere, or to do your own
ebuild and install it in /usr.

The advantages of making an ebuild are that portage will take care of this
package like any other program and that in case of upgrade, it will be very
little work to do in order to upgrade (in many cases, it is just to bump the
ebuild, that is to rename it with the new version number and redigest it).

To make the ebuild:
ebuild howto:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
gentoo devmanual: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ The devman is a very good
reading. Even if you don't want to do an ebuild, the chapter on the external
tools that portage can use (tools like sed) contain the best short introduction
I know for those tools.

To place your ebuild in portage:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds
This howto use /usr/local/portage. I prefer /usr/portage/local. But it is just
a detail.

To publish your ebuild, 2 solutions: -make a bug report asking for a new soft
in portage and join the ebuild. Peoples doing a search on bugzilla will find it
even if it never reach portage.
- put it into the sunrise
overlay: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage_Overlay_Listing#Sunrise_-_Gentoo_User_Overlay

Dominique

> Browsing around I found this link:
>
> http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Cyclictest
>
> But the link to get the tarball is stale. When I trace it through and
> get to the page it shows a
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/rt-tests.git
>
> I found another email in Google that suggested running this command:
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/rt-tests.git
>
> which does download some source code. make built it but I'm not sure
> how to get any data.
>
> I found a Live CD at OSADL. Would that be a recommended way for me to
> look at my machine? I'm downloading it now.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-rt-users" in

Dominique Michel

Mes 3 projets préférés auxquels je contribue:
 * FVWM-Crystal, le bureau basé sur FVWM:
      http://fvwm-crystal.org
 * AlsaPlayer, le lecteur audio avec contrôle de vitesse en continu:
      www.alsaplayer.org
 * L'overlay pour la MAO sous gentoo:
      http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
-