Re: rt mutex priority boost

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 20:33 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > As an early experiment, I converted the dcache, inode, and vfsmount
> > spins to raw, and performance jumped by 4x.  (I realized later that
> > dbench does alot of record locking and was still hammered by the BKL,
> > otherwise I suspect it would have been significantly greater...)  This
> > also reduced the cs/s rate to below 100k/s (from the high of ~380k/s)
>
> After converting those locks to spinlocks, have you tried running
> cyclictest and hackbench (or dbench) and see how cyclictest works?
>
> I bet you'll see extremely large latencies.
>
> Those locks are some of the biggest offenders of adding latencies.

Nod.  To be expected.  A single lock desired by everybody touching any
filesystem.  Bummer.

Unfortunately I managed to hammer my mod'ed tree, Its easy enough to
recreate and will do so tomorrow.

And yes, I've run all 3 above tests.  Concurrently.

As I recall, the cyclictest spike for the average was 1-2us, and around
20us for the max.  But I really need to rerun the suite.  This is old,
non-ECC memory I work with.  Sometimes bits are twiddled.

I will rerun and post tomorrow.

> > It seems clear that a single point of contention (e.g: the dcache lock
> > in the above workload) greatly impacts the throughput of the hardware
> > platform.  There are similar points of contention with dev->_xmit_lock,
> > and queue_lock in the networking stack.
> >
> > Obviously, this is an issue for real-world apps.  Those pesky thingies
> > think they need data from various sources to do stuff.  That was humor.
> >
> > At the risk of being chastised, is (or has) this any discussion on this
> > been taking place?
>
> Discussion of what?  Changing them to raw spinlocks?

No.  But what about a preempable read/write spin lock?  Is such a thing
possible?   I suspect not since it was not implemented.

Thx,
-PWM

-