Re: How to talk to DAQ Hardware?

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Calin Culianu wrote:
Now, there is no way to raise the priority of particular driver's ISRs is
there?  So that a specific ISR can preempt anything including a hard realtime
process?
It's the second time you say "hard" real-time, so, just wanted to warn - it is not hard. It is still only soft real time, but a pretty good one, I think.
I don't know what exactly "soft real-time" is, and I don't think there is an exact definition of it. The term "hard real-time", however, is well defined. It is the same as "real-time". It means that a system never ever exceeds a previously defined maximum latency. If, for example, you define 100 microseconds as such, you run your system over a long time period (several days), and you observe several billions of single external events that trigger a user space process at real-time priority, then there must be no single event that fails to do so within 100 microseconds. We did this constantly and successfully with an -rt kernel. So why are we not allowed to call this "hard real-time"?

If you are aware of a situation where this is not the case, then this may be a specific problem related to a specific situation. Please help us to improve the -rt patches further and submit a bug report. I am confident that it will be fixed as soon as possible.

	--cbe
-