some config questions

hi to the list!
i am new here ( i subscribed yesterday ) and i am really happy that i have found this list finally, because i hope that i can get some answers here, which i do not get in the LAU.

first about my setup: using ibm-thinkpad-R50e with the rme-multiface on a debian-testing, using selfcompiled jack/alsa/music appi's. i begun with the 2.6.12-mm kernel from demudi, but with 2.6.13 i am compiling the kernel my self (got my first .config as a present from my neighbors! ). another important information about my setup is that i am accessing internet vie an ad-hoc network using the usb-atmel driver (at76_usb) from the git sources.

in the moment i am writing from 2.6.21.3-rt9, and just yesterday i managed to implement the high-resolution-timer - the joke was really to disable all the acpi stuff.

so toggling with menuconfig for about a year 'n a half now, there are still come options, which i am not sure if i am answering correctly, and googling for them, i only find some pages with no answer for me ( too complicated kernel-hacker-language).

that's why i ll put the questions here in the hope that someone of you will have time/passions to answer some of the neewbe questions!? i ll try to structure the questions so, that it might be easy to answer with just short instructions, please apologize if i am wrong.

so, here it goes:

-block layer
     -IO shedulers
           -anticipatory
           -deadline
           -cfq
                  -default-cfg(?)

i have marked all tree possibilities, the default one is cfg - please comment!

-processor types and features
          -local apic support on uniprocessor
          -IO apic support on uniprocessors

is it recommended to activate or not?
not sure if this is the something to do that i managed to change the irq's via bios for my yenta-socket (which is now almost alone at the irq10)?

-networking
        -networking options
                -QoS and/or fair queueing
                           -timer interrupt (choosed in the moment)
                           -gettimeofday
                           -CPU cycle counter

any idea of which option could be recommanded?

-device drivers
         -RTC
              -sysfs
              -proc
              -dev   -which one to choose?

         -set system time from RTC on startup   -  do we need this?

-device drivers
           -character devices
                    -generic /dev/rtc emulation

do we want this emulation to work or not?

ok, that was it - i know it is a little much and it is not 'one question per thread' style, but i am thinking that this way is good too and that i ll get some (for me) useful answers/suggestions?!

cheers,
doc
-