Re: [RFC] Permanent Fix for RK33 gmac 1500 mtu bug

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 8:21 AM Peter Geis <pgwipeout@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> So I've continued work on fixing the rk3328/rk3399 gmac mtu tx coe offload bug.
> I've found two fixes that maintain full performance and work consistently.
>
> First, is ayufan's tx coe patch [0], which takes the bugged_jumbo
> concept introduced in [1] and applies it to 1498 and above, vice 1500
> and above.
>
> The only downside is this disables tx coe for full size packets, which
> has a negligible performance impact in my testing.
>
> The other option I've found that reliably works is bringing the mtu
> down to 1498.
> This allows tx coe to remain enabled, but with the downside of total
> loss of jumbo frames.
> The reduction in size has a negligible performance impact in my testing.

Shortly after sending this I discovered that setting the mtu lower is
not sufficient in some corner cases.
I managed to make offload break even at a 1496 mtu by `apt install
kubuntu-desktop` over ssh on a gigabit internet connection.

After porting ayufan's patch the issue went away.
So unless we can fix this by axi tuning, his patch seems to be the
most viable option.