Re: [net-next,v2 0/6] ravb: Align Rx descriptor setup and maintenance

On 2/28/24 1:32 AM, Niklas Söderlund wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When RZ/G2L support was added the Rx code path was split in two, one to
> support R-Car and one to support RZ/G2L. One reason for this is that
> R-Car uses the extended Rx descriptor format, while RZ/G2L uses the
> normal descriptor format.
>
> In many aspects this is not needed as the extended descriptor format is
> just a normal descriptor with extra metadata (timestamsp) appended. And
> the R-Car SoCs can also use normal descriptors if hardware timestamps
> where not desired. This split has lead to RZ/G2L gaining support for

   s/where/were/, s/lead/led/.

> split descriptors in the Rx path while R-Car still lacks this.
>
> This series is the first step in trying to merge the R-Car and RZ/G2L Rx
> paths so features and bugs corrected in one will benefit the other.
>
> The first patch in the series clarify that the driver now supports

   s/clarify/clarifies/.

> either normal or extended descriptors, not both at the same time by
> grouping them in a union. This is the foundation that later patches will
> build on the align the two Rx paths.

   Aligning?

> Patch 2-5 deals with correcting small issues in the Rx frame and

   Patches 2-5.

> descriptor sizes that either where incorrect at the time they were added

   s/where/were/.

> in 2017 (my bad) or concepts built on-top of this initial incorrect
> design.
>
> While finally patch 6 merges the R-Car and RZ/G2L for Rx descriptor
> setup and maintenance.
>
> When this work has landed I plan to follow up with more work aligning
> the rest of the Rx code paths and hopefully bring split descriptor
> support to the R-Car SoCs.
>
> Niklas Söderlund (6):
>   ravb: Group descriptor types used in Rx ring
>   ravb: Make it clear the information relates to maximum frame size
>   ravb: Create helper to allocate skb and align it
>   ravb: Use the max frame size from hardware info for RZ/G2L
>   ravb: Move maximum Rx descriptor data usage to info struct
>   ravb: Unify Rx ring maintenance code paths
>
>  drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb.h      |  20 +--
>  drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb_main.c | 210 ++++++++---------------

   Dave, Jakub, et al, please don't merge this patchset without my review!
I'm hoping I can get to reviewing it closer to this weekend...

MBR, Sergey

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]