Re: Poor write performance to boot area using rcar-gen3-sdhi

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> Von: "Christian Loehle" <CLoehle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> There are probably some more differences if you really want to go down that
> rabbit hole,
> like different bus modes for uboot and linux.
> Anyway I don't really know how I could help you out here, if you could provide a
> trace showing the busy times,
> that would be a smoking gun for the eMMC vendor.

So I went down the rabbit hole.
After analyzing the operation traces from Linux and u-boot in more detail I had
another chat with the vendor. It turned out their boot area *is* different,
it operates on a much larger internal block size.

While u-boot does basically all IO with one op code, Linux's writeback
via page cache writes 4k wise which leads to catastrophic performance.
Using O_DIRECT mitigates the issue, though.

Thanks everyone for your valuable input!
//richard

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]