Re: Question: why call clk_prepare in pm_clk_acquire

On Wed, 14 Sept 2022 at 19:05, Nicolas Pitre <nico@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2022, Sudeep Holla wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 06:58:49PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > Hi Sudeep,
> > >
> > > CC Dien Pham

> > > Upon closer look, Diep Pham did report a build issue in the SCMI code, so
> > > perhaps Diep knows more...
> > >

> > Yes indeed, Diep Pham tested the original patch IIRC and also has reported
> > few bugs in SCMI clock code which are fixed. Hence I know it is used by
> > Renesas.
> >
> > Hi Peng,
> >
> > Absence of DTS changes indicate nothing. I am aware of couple of vendors
> > who use SCMI on several platforms and do report issues regularly and help
> > in review of the code. So DTS is not a good indicator of SCMI usage
> > unfortunately. On reason could be that since it is a firmware, bootloaders
> > can detect and update DTS, just my thought and may differ from the reality.
>
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> This patch was indeed requested by Renesas for one of their platform
> that uses SCMI clocks. I didn't have access to the platform myself at
> the time but the patch was positively validated and tested by Renesas.
>
> This works in conjunction with commit 0bfa0820c274 that made generic
> clock pm code usable with the SCMI layer.
>
> I didn't touch any clock stuff since then and I forgot about the finer
> details unfortunately.

Thanks Nico for coming back with this information. To me, it looks
like the patch may be applicable to some Renesas' downstream kernel
then.

In my opinion I think we should rather try to revert, to avoid any
further problems. So I am going to send that patch and see what people
think about it.

Another option, which Sudeep doesn't seem very happy about too, is to
make the GENPD_FLAG_PM_CLK conditional, based on a platform
compatible.

Kind regards
Uffe

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]