Re: PHY reset may still be asserted during MDIO probe

On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 05:33:36PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm investigating a network failure after kexec on the Renesas Koelsch
> and Salvator-XS development boards, using the sh-eth or ravb driver.

Personally, I've never liked the reset support at PHY device level due
to problems like the one you've identified here. I've tended to use the
bus-level reset in preference to the PHY-level reset, particularly
because when you have multiple PHYs on the bus all sharing a common
reset, it seems to be the most sensible approach - and I see a single
PHY as no different from multiple PHYs on the bus.

However, I can see the argument for using the PHY level, but as you
note, that can create chicken and egg issues. I'm not entirely sure
why we decide to hold a PHY in reset when we've found it but not
started to make use of it - we don't do that with other devices in
the system. Why are PHYs special?

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]