Re: RZ/G2 Lossy Compression Memory Question

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 8:05 AM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 2:50 PM Adam Ford <aford173@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The bootloader/TF-A configuration we're using is based on the 4.19 CIP
> > kernel that Renesas released.  TF-A, we allocate some memory for the
>
> Where can I find this BSP?
> rcar-3.9.x is based on v4.14, and rcar-4.0.x on v5.4.  I don't know about
> BSPs using a kernel version in between.

Their URL is:
https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/rz-cortex-a-mpus/rzg-linux-platform/rzg-marketplace/verified-linux-package/rzg2-vlp-eva

They have a github repo with  a Yocto recipe which includes references
to the CIP kernel and their list of patches:
https://github.com/renesas-rz/meta-rzg2/tree/BSP-1.0.6/recipes-kernel/linux

> > lossy compression and this memory is not available for Linux.  I'd
> > prefer to not have to use a special TF-A for the mainline Linux, but
> > what appears to be happening is that Linux doesn't know about the
> > reserved memory, so memory corruption happens.
> >
> > The Renesas CIP kernel uses the following to define the space
> >
> > /* device specific region for Lossy Decompression */
> > lossy_decompress: linux,lossy_decompress@54000000 {
> >      no-map;
> >      reg = <0x00000000 0x54000000 0x0 0x03000000>;
> > };
>
> That is, inside a "reserved-memory" node.
>
> > Then uses the following to carve it out so Linux doesn't think it can use it.
> >
> > mmngr {
> >      compatible = "renesas,mmngr";
> >      memory-region = <&mmp_reserved>, <&lossy_decompress>;
> > };
> >
> > Unfortunately, renesas,mmngr doesn't exist upstream.
> >
> > I thought about changing the memory node to break it up, but it seems
> > like a hack.
> >
> > What is the best suggestion for blocking this memory area from Linux
> > while still appearing to show the full memory size?
>
> I think "renesas,mmngr" is a red herring, as both rcar-3.9.x and
> rcar-4.0.x use that compatible value in DTS files, but don't include
> a driver.

That seems true for the 4.19-CIP kernel as well.

> Does it work if you manually add the reserved-memory node and the
> relevant subnodes to your DTS file?

I'll give the reserved memory node a try.  The extra "renesas,mmngr"
threw me off.

Thanks for the suggestion.

adam

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>                         Geert
>
> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
> when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
>                                 -- Linus Torvalds

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]