Re: EXT4 issues on block devices

Hi Prabhakar,

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 7:01 PM Lad, Prabhakar
<prabhakar.csengg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> During adding support for SATA on RZ/G2H, I was trying some stress

RZ/G2N, according to the logs?

> testing on the stock 5.8.0 kernel.
>
> $ dd if=/dev/urandom of="${TMP_DIR}/random-data" bs=1M count=1000 # Works OK
> $ time bonnie++ -d "${MNT_DIR}" -u root # Worked OK, as Biju pointed
> out earlier he had seen an issue with this and disabling
> CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING fixes it.
> $ for i in {1..50}; do echo $i;cp random-data random-data-$i;sync;
> done # This is where I saw random kernel panics/EXT4 errors
>
> To prove it out it's not the SATA I switched to USB3 and kept on
> seeing similar issues. To make sure if the device is OK I tested the
> devices on VLP1.0.4 release and saw no such behaviour.
>
>  I have been using renesas_defconfig + enabled modules + added USB3
> firmware file
> * Tried disabling cma (cma=0 in bootargs)
> * Before mounting the device made sure I run e2fsck
> * Also ran badblocks tool on the device and saw no issues
> * Disabled CONFIG_HUGETLBFS/CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32
>
> I also tested on R-car M3N with renesas_defconfig and saw no issues
> with USB ext4.

I assume you can run the same kernel on R-Car M3-N and RZ/G2N, if you
enable support for both SoCs.  Does that show the problem on both?

> Any thoughts on what could be causing this issue. (I will start
> comparing the VLP kernel)

What's the VLP kernel?

If you have two kernels, one that works, and one that doesn't, you can
bisect the issue.  Might be not so simple, if the two versions have
diverged, but you can always try rebasing the newest tree on top of the
oldest one, and run git bisect on that.

Your log for M3-N doesn't show the firmware boot log, but your RZ/G2N
board has "Lossy Decomp areas".  My R-Car M3-N Salvator-XS doesn't
have those.  Also, there may be a difference in the QoS settings.

Good luck finding the cause!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]