Re: can someone solve string_32.h issue for SH ?

Hi Karl

Thank you for your help

> Or, can we use general strncpy() instead of SH assemble one ?
(snip)
> Though ultimately I do not have a say in that, it would appear that string_32.h is in arch/sh/include/asm
> and has been there for a very long time.
> In fact, it appears that x86 also has similar utility functions defined in inline assembly:
> see arch/x86/include/asm. As straightforward as it would be to make C versions, there may be a reason
> that they are in inline assembly--optimization would be my guess--and converting it all to C may require>
> an overhaul of the string.h backend (something I would not be much help with given that I am unable to get
> modern Linux booting on my machine, which is a Sega Dreamcast).
> I also do not know what the performance implications of switching it all to C would be, if there even are any.
>
> Hopefully this information may be useful and my asm version is alright for the time being;
> I have not been able to unearth much more on the topic of why this is structured the way it is,

How about this ?
You / I post each patch
(= Me:  use generic strnpy() patch
   You: fixup SH strnpy() patch)
And follow SH maintainer's judge

Thank you for your help !!
Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]