Re: [RFC 1/5] pinctrl: rz-pfc: Add Renesas RZ pinctrl core module

Hi Chris,

On Tuesday 31 Jan 2017 13:48:57 Chris Brandt wrote:
> On  Tuesday, January 31, 2017, Jacopo Mondi wrote:
> >> Since one of the benefits of using devm_kzalloc is that if the probe
> >> fails and returns an error, all the memory associated with that device
> >> will automatically get freed, you 'might' not need this code to free
> >> memory.
> >>
> >> I say might because I'm not sure if returning an error here will kill
> >> the driver or not. But, might be interesting to look into.
> >
> > No, returning an error here would not kill the driver BUT if
> > dt_node_to_map fails, dt_free_map is called immediately later [1]
> >
> > So here we maybe should not use device managed memory as it does not bring
> > anything, do not free *map as it is freed later in dt_free_map, but
> > release fngrps mux_modes and grpins, as we lose reference to them outside
> > the scope of this function.
> >
> > Do you agree?
>
> Like you said, there is no benefit one way of the other.
>
> But, doing a grep of the pinctrl directory, devm_kzalloc is used more by
> the other drivers than kzalloc, so maybe we just stick with devm_kzalloc
>
>    (baah goes the sheep)

Given that the devm_*() functions incur an overhead, let's use kzalloc/kfree
directly.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]