rcar-du: glitches on HDMI output

Hey all,

When putting my porter board under a bit of load with linux-next from
earlier this month (20160405), I'm seeing occasional glitches on the
HDMI output. These seems to be triggered by stressing the memory.

A simple test-case running weston (with the pixman renderer), weston
terminal in combination with running 2 instances of the stream memory
benchmark in the background triggers the issue. Video here:
   http://people.collabora.co.uk/~sjoerd/20160419_001.mp4

The same test on a 3.10.31 based kernel from renesas-backport.git has
no issues (image is completely stable on the HDMI output).

Our theory thusfar is that there is a buffer/fifo underflow while
streaming the pixels out to the encoder/display. Unfortunately I
couldn't find anything thusfar in either the public manuals or the old
renesas-backports tree related to e.g. setting up fifo depths, memory
priorities etc. Hopefully someone on the list has a good suggestion of
where to look or what could be the issue here.

As extra information, i've been putting together some pieces to run the
proprietary IMG driver against that same kernel. Which seems to work
well enough, apart from triggering what appears to be the same issue
but worse.  A video of weston running glmark2 with the pvr driver
on this kernel can be found here (or as one of my collegues calls it
"light speed horse":
  https://people.collabora.com/~sjoerd/20160418_001.mp4

--
Sjoerd Simons
Collabora Ltd.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]