RE: [net-next v4 00/15] Add mlx5 subfunction support

mdev is just yet another _use_ of subfunction.
There are users of subfunction who want to use it without mapping subfunction as mdev to guest VM.
i.e. as netdev, rdma, vdpa.
In future direct assignment can be via mdev of subfunction, like how rest of the above devices are done.

Creating a subfunction for non vfio purpose via vfio mdev is just not right.
If I understand you correctly, I hope you are not suggesting that.