Re: pyverbs failures

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 11:51:07AM -0500, Bob Pearson wrote:

> I have been trying to reduce the number of test failures in the
> pyverbs tests for the rxe driver. There is one class of these errors
> that seems to be potentially a design failure in rdma core. By
> default each time a new RoCE device is registered the core sets up a
> gid table in cache.c and populates the first gid entry with the
> eui64 version of the IPV6 link local address. Later the other IP
> addresses configured on each port are added as well. It is expected
> that the default entry with sgid_index = 0 will function as a valid
> source address. Five years ago this probably always worked but more
> modern OSes have stopped using this address for privacy
> reasons. Ubuntu 20.04 which is the one I am working on uses a pseudo
> random address and not the MAC based one. Windows and IOS also
> apparently no longer use this address. The result is that the
> pyverbs test cases which use sgid_index = 0 in some cases, and use
> random sgid_indices including 0 in others, fail. The most common
> failure symptom is that when attempting to add a remote address to a
> QP (INIT -> RTR) it is unable to contact the invalid address and it
> times out.

The RoCEv1 GID is formed as you described above, is rxe triggering
some RoCEv1 support that it can't handle?

> A better choice for the default GID for RoCEv2 devices may be to
> just use the IPV6 address configured as the link local address for
> the ndev. If they use the eui64 address the result will be the
> same. At least some of these OSes claim that the link local address
> is temporary, changing periodically. This would require tracking
> IPV6.

Certainly RoCEv2 devices shouldn't have GIDs that are not matching
their IP addresses. Otherwise it would malform a UDP header.

Maybe Parav remebers if there is some tricky reason why this is still
being done?

Jason