Re: [net-next v4 10/12] ASoC: SOF: Introduce descriptors for SOF client

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 02:27:10PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> I wonder if SW_MFD might me more apt though? Based on Mark's remarks
> current MFD is 'hw' MFD where the created platform_devices expect a
> MMIO pass through, while this is a MFD a device-specific SW
> interfacing layer.

Another part of this is that there's not a clean cut over between MMIO
and not using any hardware resources at all - for example a device might
be connected over I2C but use resources to distribute interrupts to
subdevices.

> MFD really is the best name for this kind of functionality,
> understanding how it is different from the current MFD might also help
> justify why it exists and give it a name.

Right, it's not clear what we're doing here.