Re: "ibstat -l" displays CA device list in an unsorted order

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 09:55:23AM -0500, Dennis Dalessandro wrote:
> > > I can just sort the list at the time of insertion of each node.
> >
> > I'd rather not have to pay the sorting penalty for all users, it seems
> > only a few command line tools need the sort
>
> Should we really go out on limb here and assume it's just a few CLI tools?
> What about all the sysadmin type scripts out there? We aren't having a good
> track record not breaking user space lately.

'sysadmin scripts' can't view the umad list without going through a
cli tool - so sorting the cli tools that show lists of device things
will take care of it.

verbs is has always been unsorted, so things like ibv_devinfo
return in creation order. (which I think is a different random
ordering than it used to be)

This isn't the first time someone has complated about sorting, I
recall there was a complaint about ibv_get_device_list() too, but it
was never sorted. It just happened that sometimes it would be sorted
by some luck.

At least in the umad case it was actually always sorted before.

I think we should also sort ibv_devinfo too while we are here.

> Is the sorting penalty really going to be that bad? It's not like we will
> have a large number of devices that sorting should really be an issue I
> wouldn't think.

There are configurations where we have a large number of devices.

Jason