Re: RDMA device renames and node description

On 19/02/2020 16:14, Dennis Dalessandro wrote:
> On 2/19/2020 2:11 AM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
>> ABI breakage is a strong word, luckily enough it is not defined at all.
>> We never considered dmesg prints, device names, device ordering as an
>> ABI. You can't rely on debug features too, they can disappear too.
>
> Agree, it is a strong word and we can call it what you want. The point is you
> should be able to rely on the node description not being changed out from under
> you unnecessarily though. We aren't talking about a debug feature here but a
> core feature to real world deployments.
>
> Could you envision a patch to a user space library that just changes a devices
> hostname to something that was HW specific because it makes scripting easier? I
> contend that in some cases the node description remaining constant is just as
> important.
>
>> So the bottom line, the expectation that distro should fix all broken
>> software before enabling device renaming and their bugs are not excuse
>> to declare ABI breakage.
>
> Again, call it what you want, but you can't deny this change to force the rename
> by default has not broken things. For the record I'm not even talking about PSM2
> here. There are other, more far reaching implications.

It's not just PSM2, it broke our libfabric provider and apparently MVAPICH as well:
http://mailman.cse.ohio-state.edu/pipermail/mvapich-discuss/2020-January/006960.html

Regarding the issue you described, why not disable the rename on the upgrade
path and only enable it for fresh installations?